The hype behind Citadel Contrast Colour Paints was a site to behold. It was everywhere I turned the weeks proceeding its release. Now, maybe other releases have been just as hyped and had as much promotional material behind them; I am not an authority on all things Games Workshop to say with any sort of factual data to back up my claims. However, in my own eyes, and to my perception, the hype for Contrast Paints was like nothing I had ever seen before.
Now, this might have been because I was very excited about the idea and hoping it was a good as advertised. As I mentioned before, I have long painted the bulk of my models with washes and drybrushing and anything that speeds up that process is something I can get behind.
Look, I am never going to win a painting contest. I do not have the skill, nor the patience to paint a model to that level of detail. However, I do like to have my man-dollies all painted up and looking pretty. I know that I can achieve a passable table top quality and I am completely okay with that level of painting skill. Therefore, if a product can make me get there quicker, I am one hundred and 10 percent behind the idea.
So, I took my self down to my friendly local games store and dropped some cash on the Contrast paints that I thought I could use on my planned Contrast Paint Army Project. As I had chosen Sylvaneth and because I was pretty sure that a whole lot of people would pick the aptly named Wyldwood for their Sylvaneth army, I didn’t pick up that color.
Instead, I though about doing an ice or cold themed army. The other idea was to use a richer brown color for the tree bark. Looking at the helpful color tokens from Chelmsford, I picked Aethermatic Blue, Gryph-Charger Grey and Gore-Grunta Fur.
The first color I used was Aethermatic Blue. I painted it straight on from the bottle to see if that was a viable method of using the contrast paints. The model was primered with the new Grey Seer primer.
As you can see the color right out of the bottle is very rich, while this color is usable right out of the bottle, it is so rich and dark, it would definitely benefit from being painted 50/50 with the medium.
I always paint by using washes and drybrushing, so I picked up my Skink Blue and drybrushed the model.
The drybrushing turned out pretty good, but I noticed that even though I let it dry overnight, the drybrushing was actually rubbing off some of the paint and it needed a lighter touch.
The coloring was not what I wanted for the primary bark color of my Sylvaneth. The color was nice and it would work for either Beastclaw Raiders or spirits. So, I decided to choose the warm wood color of Gore-Grunta Fur. Again, I applied the color straight from the bottle over Grey Seer Primer.
This color is extremely dark and I definitely think it should be painted 50/50 with the medium. I decided to drybrush this model as well. I decided to use Deathclaw brown as I wanted to only tone down the color on the edges a little.
The model turned out really well, but the color would look better on fur like beastmen or maybe Skaven.
The next contrast color I picked was Gryph-charger Grey. I really liked the rich grey-green tones. It reminded me of old ice you find in a dark area or maybe smokey ice.
This color is really nice, but it really darkens the recesses of the model. I definitely fell it would work better if it was painted with several thinned down layers. I really, really liked the greenish undertones.
Games Workshop does not really have a grey-green paint, so I used Underbelly blue by P3, and I think it turned out really, really well.
It was at this point my son came into my painting area and asked me what I was doing. I explained I was trying out the paints to see what color I wanted to paint my Contrast Project Army. He asked why I was painting them like I always do, with washes and drybrushes.
The kid had a point, if I was going to do a Contrast Paint Army Project, I should see about painting it with just contrast paints and maybe some highlights on a few key points. If I was just going to use them as a wash and drybrush over them, I was not giving them a fair shot to speed up my painting.
I really liked the Gryph-Charger Grey and I wanted to paint my army that color. I felt like painting the color in a couple of thinned down layers would give me a model that looked similar to the drybrushed version without having to take the extra step of drybrushing them. I also felt that the Gryph-Charger Grey would go good with the light purple and pink contrast paints.
That is all for this post. I have taxed my ability to focus on one single topic to its limit for today. Before I start to ramble and return to my regularly scheduled chaotically disorganized ways, I will thank you for stopping by and giving my blog a read. Until the next one, Utterly Unfocused signing out.