I tried to think of a more elusive title, but I couldn’t come up with anything that didn’t sound completely asinine, so I went with a title that says it all. I have finally found a paint scheme using contrast paints that will work for me. I am pretty sure I can quickly and easily reproduce it across all the models in the Sylvaneth range. Problem is, I am not sure it is exactly what I am looking for with my models.

This is important as I already own over 100 Sylvaneth models and I don’t own all the characters yet and I own only 5 Spite Revenants, and I am pretty sure I will want more of them. Anyways, let us get to the paint scheme I came up with that works for me and at the end, I will share an amusing fact with you.

I started off painting it like the last models. I will try and remember to eventually get a picture of each step, but I wouldn’t count on it happening anytime soon, if ever, I am terrible at remembering to take pictures. Oh look, I got off topic again.

Steps taken at the beginning are: Grey Seer Spray primer. Then two 50/50 coats of Gryph-Charger Grey/Medium. Next I drybrushed the model with first Dawnstone trying to stay not go to heavy with the brush strokes. After that, I gave it another lighter drybrush with Administratum Grey to try and pick out the very top edges and give it some more depth.

Not to shabby at this point and as you can see from the pictures, plenty of the Gryph-Charger grey-green is showing through underneath the drybrushing. I was sure still about the paint scheme, so I quickly painted up the tabard using two thin coats of Volupus Pink. I painted the eyes P3 Khador Red Base and the Tongue Citadel Thousand Sons Blue.

The model didn’t look great, but I liked where it was heading, so I pressed on. I first painted all the leaves with the Grey Seer base paint to get them back to the original color. Once this was dry I painted them with Volupus Pink. I then gave the tips of the tabard a quick coat of Citadel Pink Horror and I gave the edges of the leaves a quick once around with the same color.

Next up, I gave the eyes a coat of the Spirtstone Red Technical paint as I like the way it looks watery. The bark swirl/marking was given a coat of Hexwraith Flame.

I was actually starting to like the model as it was just taking me time to get used to the grey green of the Gryph-Charger grey. Up to this point, all of Citadel paints have been one color. Brown, Blue, Grey, Red, etc, etc; however, the Contrast paints have other hues mixed in together. An example of this is Gryph-Charger Grey which has a strong green tone to it. I was trying to find a color or two in their range that would highlight this grey-green coloring, but no such color exists. Instead, I had to build up the grey and let the green undertones speak for themselves.

With the army having a green tint to it, I decided that I wanted the armies bases to also be vibrant and alive. I did this by painting them Citadel Dryad Bark as I wanted the rich brown earth look. I then used watered down PVA glue to add a layer of Dark Brown and Brown fine ballast 50/50 mix from Woodland Scenics. I wanted this as the base, so it could peak out in places and look like the soil beneath the growth.

Once this was dry, I painted watered down PVA glue over ballast, except for in three spots and coated that with Woodland Scenics Green Blended Turf. This gave it that lush and alive look I was going for with this army.

Lastly, I glued down the tufts and flowers. The blue flowers are amazing and they come from Warpainter a company that is in Britain and makes fantastic and sturdy flower tufts; it just takes awhile to get them. I then added Army painter Jungle tufts for that new grass look and Army painter Winter tufts as they had the look of more mature or aged grass. The model was then give a coat of Testors Dullcote. It will be getting another tomorrow when the humidity dies down.

I actually like the way the model turned out. I was worried at first, but the more I look at it the more I like the living feeling the green undertone gives it. I can’t wait to see what a unit of ten looks like all painted up in this paint scheme.

Oh, that amusing fact I was going to share with you. You know all that work I put into the model, trying to figure out a color to drybrush the Gryph-Charger grey? Well, it appears that I eventually settled on the same colors that Games Workshop advocates in their Paint App.

It appears that I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had just looked at the app. However, the funny thing is that the app does not show the green tint to Gryph-Charger grey that you get when you paint it. It especially doesn’t show in their guide to painting a Dryad.

I know I didn’t use layers of paint to build up from my base of Gryph-Charger Grey, but my model doesn’t look like it is even in the same color tone range as their dryad. I do find it interesting, that I eventually arrived at the same colors they used for their dryad, it just took me awhile and mine still looks very different.

So after several days and multiple models, I have finally arrived at a paint scheme for my Sylvaneth army that I like somewhat. I am going to try one more paint scheme with the contrast before I make a final decision. Then, all that is left is to paint the models I own and others I will have to purchase to make a 2000 point army. I am going to track how much I can paint using this contrast paint method and I am hoping that I can knock out around 750 to 1000 points a month. At least that is the plan moving forward. Wish me luck; I will need it.

Well, that is all for this post. I have taxed my ability to focus on one single topic to its limit for today. Before I start to ramble and return to my regularly scheduled chaotically disorganized ways, I will thank you for stopping by and giving my blog a read. Until the next one, Utterly Unfocused signing out.